Job purpose and key deliverables
The aim of the role is to lead, manage and equip their teams to deliver an Unrivalled Sales Experience and Unmatched Business Value to all BAT customers in their territory, whilst ensuring alignment of key Marketing Initiatives within the Southern African Markets.
The Market Deployment Manager is accountable for the deployment and implementation of Trade Marketing and Brand Initiatives within the market, including driving the End Market campaign plans; developing and tracking End Market level tactical plans. The role includes responsibility for managing the cycle brief process and dependency, risk and issue management.
The incumbent is based in Angola, but will work closely with the South African Markets Business Development/Brand Manager. Marketing Deployment Managers need to drive this vision through establishing and supporting a culture of innovation, stretch and flex that at the same time, excites the Field Force.
- Assist the Head of Trade (HoT) in the development of End Market (EM) activities, and provide input into Communication; Planning activities on a cyclical basis;
- Coordinate implementation of brand and trade programmes within the EM, quickly reacting against competitive threats if necessary;
- Provide guidelines to the Trade Marketing Representatives regarding plannogrammes and merchandising materials;
- Participate in the monthly end – market Leadership Team meeting, providing data for areas of responsibility;
- Participate in the monthly MDM/Cycle Plan meetings facilitated by Head Office, providing data for areas of responsibility;
- Propose goals and KPIs for the programmes implemented within EM and track ongoing results;
- Drives the embedding of Programme’s standards including templates, tools, Governance, Planning, Reporting, Risks, Issues, and Dependences across the EM;
- Provide Senior Management with information and decision support – collate required data and produce reports and insights to facilitate decision making;
- Manages the collation of required data and reports for analysis and facilitate decision making;
- Agree EM plans including resourcing, scope and timelines;
- Perform regular market assessments throughout the Regions, and effectively utilise and analyse information/data from reports drawn/received to monitor/manage EM performance against targets and proactively take corrective action;
- Collate and analyse BAT, competitor and illicit stock brand performance/activities, and provide regular market intelligence reports;
- Prepare for and participate in regular end-market performance reviews as part of the EM Leadership Team for areas of responsibility;
- Prepare for and participate in the National Communication Planning, Illicit Trade and Indirect Supply Meeting;
- Provide Sales information and reports on sales performance to ensure that the HoT is fully informed at all times;
- Ensure accurate compilation and timeous submission of all required reports/completion of all administrative activities;
- Assist the HoT in the execution of duties as delegated & perform ad-hoc activities as directed.
Teamwork and Team Building
- Ensure an environment that fosters teamwork and team building in order to achieve EM goals and sales objectives;
- Participate in, implement and drive BAT training and development, corporate and social responsibility, change management, innovation, and leadership initiatives to positively contribute towards achievement of company objectives;
People Growth and Development
- Lead, motivate, support and develop Trade/Distributor Representatives through on-the-job training, coaching, and input into regular reviews of personal development plans;
- Ensure that the Field Force and Trade Partners are well-trained and aligned with BAT’s International Marketing Standards and all Corporate Guidelines;
- Responsible for own development and technical skill growth in anticipation of organisational requirements through IDP actions in support of agreed, realistic career plan;
- Manage all assigned resources and funds in a secure and efficient manner to maximise the use and effectiveness of organisation assets;
- Optimise effectiveness and efficiency of company’s resources;
- Regularly conduct market visits, perform corporate and brand advocacy, and support the Field Force through constructive customer engagement, using sound commercial principles/calculations and excellent communication/sales techniques, to enhance the professional reputation of BAT and build benchmark relationships;
- Ensure proper delivery of plans to the expected level of quality, on time and within budget.
- two to five years’ experience in a similar FMCG category;
- Marketing Degree studies.
- Trade marketing;
- Customer engagement;
- Account management;
- Field operations;
- Experience in managing cycle planning.
- Motivating, coaching and developing people;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with customers, external suppliers and commercial partners;
- Negotiation and influencing;
- Good planning and marketing trends analysis skills.
Working at BAT
British American Tobacco is all about freedom of choice — whether it’s our people or our products. Combined with our entrepreneurial spirit, it’s what’s driven our phenomenal success. We started trading tobacco over a hundred years ago. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar company with more than 200 brands in our portfolio. With robust positions in each of our regional markets, our future looks equally bright too.
There’s no doubt our industry is controversial — we’re the first to admit that. But rest assured, we take a responsible approach to our trade. In each of our markets, we observe every local law regarding tobacco (in many cases going further through our own voluntary code). Not only that, we treat our farmers fairly, invest in the environment and help to sustain local communities.
We also excel at developing our own people into leaders of the future. As a firm with a high-performance culture, we’ll expect a lot from you. But we’ll support you every step of the way to help you deliver. If you’re passionate and ambitious, rapid career progression is a reality here. And because we’re such a large firm (we employ more than 55,000 people worldwide), there are plenty of exciting opportunities for you to develop a truly extraordinary career.